Event: The Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery’s 2019 American Portrait Gala
Date: Sunday, November 17, 2019
Venue: Robert and Arlene Kogod Courtyard, Washington, D.C.
On November 17, 2019, The Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery announced honorees for its 2019 American Portrait Gala. The following recipients were honored with the museum’s “Portrait of a Nation Prize”:
- Frances Arnold, scientist, engineer and Nobel Laureate.
- Jeffrey P. Bezos, founder of Amazon and Blue Origin, owner of the Washington Post, tech entrepreneur and philanthropist.
- Earth, Wind & Fire (Maurice White (posthumously), Philip Bailey, Verdine White, Ralph Johnson), award-winning American band.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda, award-winning composer, lyricist, actor and creator of the Broadway production Hamilton: An American Musical.
- Indra Nooyi, business executive and named by Forbes as one of world’s 100 most powerful women.
- Anna Wintour, artistic director of Condé Nast and editor-in-chief of Vogue.
The American Portrait Gala—a fundraising event—was established in 2015 to strengthen the museum’s endowment for exhibitions and to focus attention on the museum’s work with living sitters and contemporary artists.
Borderless projection and large monitor viewing spaces, graphic and playback management, IMAG and records provided by Quince Imaging
Team: Bond Events, Quince Imaging, Atmosphere Lighting, MHA Audio, Design Foundry
Learn more about the National Portrait Gallery’s 2019 American Portrait Gala: